Fortified cities trip The Netherlands | hike and bike 3 days tour
EUR 179,– per person
Looking for a surprising and relaxing getaway? Welcome to the fortified towns of Zaltbommel and Woudrichem. Experience the tranquility of the green floodplains in De Bommelerwaard, island between the river De Maas and De Waal.
The trip includes a two-night stay in the cozy B&B In de Oude Smederij Zaltbommel, with a mini- cruise on river De Waal and a visit to Loevestein Castle and Woudrichem. Wine & dine package is included!
Destination Holland | Mondi DMC The Netherlands
Do you want to book or change the travel arrangement? Call or email us via firstname.lastname@example.org
Zaltbommel is buzzing!
Who does not know its silhouette from the Waal bridge and highway A2? Visit Zaltbommel, because the city and De Bommelerwaard have everything to offer you! Fortress town of Zaltbommel has retained its small-scale and historic character and is rich in nice shops and restaurants. Sights are plentiful, such as City- castle Zaltbommel, Slot Loevestein, Castle Ammersoyen and the southwestern Dutch Waterline, recently nominated as a UNESCO heritage. Bordering on De Waal and De Maas, De Bommelerwaard has been known by boat owners for some time. But with its vast floodplains and attractive cycling and walking routes, it is also discovered by walkers and cyclists. Enjoy the peace and the greenery of the dyke landscape. Do you want to get into the big cities from De Bommelerwaard? That is possible, Amsterdam, Utrecht, Rotterdam, Den Bosch, Breda, Gorinchem and Nijmegen are less than an hour away.
Search for the adventure
Loevestein Castle, the most famous castle in the Netherlands, because who doesn’t know the story of Hugo de Groot who escaped in a book chest? In the original Dutch river landscape, where Maas and Waal meet, knight Dirc Loef van Horne had his castle built in 1361. At the time ideal for levying tolls, nowadays attractive for a day out. Everyone can experience everything in the castle, the forecourt and the soldiers’ village. In the museum you will learn about Hugo de Groot, the Middle Ages and the Dutch Waterline. With games you learn more about gunpowder and weapons, and in the basement you can feel the experience of high water. Everyone gets a key to discover everything. Experience a great adventure for young and old!
Walk and cycle
Nowhere can you experience the water and the floodplain from as close as in De Bommelerwaard. Follow the route along Munnikenland, Slot Loevestein, the Gamerensche and De Brakelse Benedenwaarden. A route that is characterized by dikes, quays, ewe forests and lakes. You pass pasture where Konik horses and Red Geus cattle graze and in the summer months you sniff the most delicious scents along the summer quays. Field sage and Wild Marjoram, also known as oregano, are then in full bloom. Put on shoes, or get on your bike and enjoy a sporty, beautiful and educational day in peace!
Price 3 day’s trip Zaltbommel, Woudrichem and De Bommelerwaard: EUR 179,–per person.
Based on a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 people.
- 2 nights / 3 days stay at B&B In de Oude Smederij Zaltbommel (based on availability)
- River cruise return tickets from Zaltbommel to Loevestein and to Gorinchem
- Admission tickets Loevestein (guidance optional)
- Information about walking and cycling routes
- Breakfast-based care (breakfast on request)
- 1 x package winebar
- 1x dinner in a cozy restaurant
- Tourist tax (to be paid on location)
- Beverages, tips and other personal expenses
- Lunches and dinners not mentioned in the program
- Bicycles (optional 10 euros per person per day / electric bicycle 25 euros per person per day)
- Transport (collection service on request)
- Mondi Reizen administration costs 15.00 euros
- SGR / SGRZ contribution 2.50 euros
- Calamity Fund contribution 2.50 euros
All package holidays from Mondi Reizen are offered under the guarantee of the SGR, SGRZ and the Calamity fund.
VvKR and the Mondi Reizen general terms and conditions apply.
In De Bommelerwaard you can take nice nature walks, there are also enthusiastic guides waiting for you to show you around in Zaltbommel and along the castle route.
We can arrange extra trips and arrangements on request. For further information, feel free to contact us.
Hike and bike trip Zaltbommel, Woudrichem and De Bommelerwaard 3 days
From day to day:
- Your trip starts with a meet & greet and check in in Zaltbommel (from 3 p.m.).
- Tip for the afternoon: visit Zaltbommel Castle, walk around the fortress and enjoy the afternoon in the city brewery. Or go shopping in the many shops that Zaltbommel has and take a seat on a terrace on the market.
- Tip for the evening: dinner in a cozy restaurant in the city center (on your own, we are happy to help arrange).
- You end the day and spend the night in your B&B in Zaltbommel.
- Today you start the day with an energetic breakfast of your choice (on request, indicate your preferences).
- In the morning you will board the boat in Zaltbommel (with or without a bicycle) and sail towards Slot Loevestein (the boat sails in June, July and August).
- Experience the adventure of Slot Loevestein!
- Afternoon tip: after your visit to Loevestein, walk to Woudrichem and lunch in the picturesque center.
- After lunch sail back via Loevestein to Zaltbommel or cycle from Loevestein along the floodplains to Zaltbommel (approx. 2 hours).
- In the afternoon you will be welcomed in Zaltbommel in the winebar. Afterwards you dine in a cozy family restaurant.
- You finish the day satisfied and spend the night in your B&B in Zaltbommel.
- Today you start the day with a hearty breakfast (on request, indicate your preferences!).
- Tip for the day: enjoy a nice cycling or walking route, or visit one of the castles and the Dutch Waterline in De Bommelerwaard. Information and advice are available on location.
- Check- out at 11.00h
Personally welcomed, you spend the night in the small and cozy B&B In de Oude Smederij in Zaltbommel. This B&B is 100% energy-neutral and you dispose of all comforts and private utilities. Restaurants and shops are within walking distance. Parking for the car is available, bicycles can be rented. A pick-up service is also available.
Do you want to change the route or more information? Contact us, call 0031 418 6480 43, or mail to email@example.com